THE TRAVEL YOGI
Sicily Yoga Adventure
Trip in One Word: Entrancing
What You’ll Experience In Sicily
A Mediterranean gem, Sicily is known for its serene beaches, charming villages, amazing ancient ruins and delicious cuisine. Get your yoga and walking shoes on so you can, “mangia, mangia!” throughout the week. On this yoga retreat in Sicily, you’ll explore Europe’s largest active volcano, sip some volcanic vino, wander seaside villages, visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites (yes, that’s plural), admire the spectacular and ancient architecture and bathe in the Italian sunshine and sea. Get lost among endearing ancient alleyways, explore piazzas (in palazzos) and enjoy a sunkissed adventure in Italy.
How You’ll Experience Sicily
Start your yoga retreat in Sicily in Castiglione di Sicilia, on the north side of dominating Mount Etna. Hike the hillsides of Mount Etna, bask in the panoramic views of the Sicilian countryside and sip the nectar of the unique volcanic soil (ie delicious local wines). You’ll visit Castelmola, known as one of the most beautiful villages in Sicily, and explore the Norman ruins overlooking the Ionian Sea. Revel in ancient Greek ruins and classic Renaissance and Baroque architecture on Ortigia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Wander the local food market and savor unforgettable Sicilian food and wines. Immerse in Ragusa and Noto’s (another UNESCO World Heritage Site) ancient architecture—from the Palazzo Comunale to the breathtaking Duomo di San Nicolò – catacombs, spellbinding stairs and piazzas. Try a cuoppo (trust us) and your own hand at focaccia. At ‘home’ in Modica you’ll learn about the ancient chocolate-making tradition and get hands-on with a professional maître chocolatier (yum). Experiment with Sicilian herbs and spices (coupled with local aperitivos) as you taste, laugh and immerse your way around this enchanting island.
How You’ll Feel When You Return Home
You’ll return home from this yoga retreat in Sicily sun-kissed and blissed out. You’ll research limoncello recipes (in pursuit of the perfect aperitivo), dream of piazzas and vividly recall the sensation of Sicilian sand on your bare feet. Warmed by delicious wine and Sicilian smiles, you’ll forever ruminate on creating your very own “Under the Sicilian Sun” move across the pond.
castiglione di sicilia
Yoga Retreat in Sicily Upcoming Dates
Jennifer Prugh is passionate about guiding students toward discovering what is possible in life when we bring our whole selves to each moment. She is the founder of Breath Together Yoga, a yoga studio, tea house and wellness center that offers over 100 classes a week for every level of practice, as well as the founder of the Joy of Yoga 200 and 300/500 hour teacher trainings.
Jennifer leads yoga adventures and retreats all over the world. A professional artist with a master’s degree in Art and Consciousness Studies, she was an associate professor for eight years at Cogswell College where she taught storytelling, mythology and creativity. She began practicing yoga in 1989, and teaching yoga after in 1999 following the death from cancer of her greatest mentor, her father. in 2021 she published a large format photography book, River of Offerings, 12 journeys following the path of the Ganges River, which you can find at your favorite bookstore or on Amazon.
Jennifer left higher education to teach yoga exclusively, in the words of Joseph Campbell, “ to follow her bliss.” Her online classes can be found on yogaanytime.com and YouTube @BreatheTogetherYoga. Jennifer is president of the board at the Tibetan Children’s Education Foundation, and because education changes the world, she enthusiastically encourages people to sponsor the education of Tibetan children and children of refugees from neighboring Indian countries.
She lives with her husband Will, their son Liam, and their golden retriever, Hobbes and River.
Nicole Robinson has been teaching yoga for over a decade now in her small hometown town of Kailua on the island of Oahu. In 2008 she received her 200hour RYT certification through Aloha Yoga Kula. She went on to open a local yoga studio in Kailua in 2010 called Hot Yoga by the Sea and has been operating ever since.
With over 10,000 hours teaching Niki has developed methods for leading classes to a broad range of students and enjoys teaching vinyasa flow, yin yoga, restorative yoga, yoga nidra, breath work and meditation. She is certified in EFT, emotional freedom techniques, is a Master Reiki Practitioner and is certified in Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga. With experience leading her own yoga retreats, Nicole is excited to join with The Travel Yogi to offer the most enjoyable experience to all students!
Maura Manzo is a sought after yoga & meditation teacher in the Philadelphia area, specializing in trauma-informed practices, community engagement and mind-body integration. She is a catalyst for change encouraging reflection, responsibility and action in our individual lives and in our deeper connection to each other and the world. She believes in the power of community and collective care. Maura has helped raise over $500,000 for local and international organizations, building 5 schools in developing countries and organizing various fundraising groups for direct service and cultural immersions. She is also a retreat leader known for curating unique experiences for her students that land them back into the center of themselves.
Maura has trained extensively with Off the Mat into the World founders and faculty, specifically Seane Corn, Hala Khouri and Nikki Myers, around trauma informed practices and the intersection of social justice and yoga. She has studied trauma-informed care with Lakeside Global institute.
In 2013, Maura co-founded Yoga Home which she co-owned with Kerri Hanlon through 2020. The studio was awarded many ‘best of’ awards throughout the years and she was also the personal recipient of Philadelphia Magazine’s Best of Awards 2014 – Best Yoga Podcast.
Maura’s deep commitment to building community shows up in all that she offers. Over the last 10 years, she has raised nearly $500k for different organizations she has partnered with including OTM, (HIV/AIDS South Africa), buildOn (building schools in 5 different countries) and most recently, Hope for Haiti (sustainable development).
Melissa Barron is a huge fan of the transformative power of yoga, and she loves nothing more than showing her students how amazing this practice can be! Melissa’s warmth and encouragement (mixed with a healthy dose of southern charm) inspires students of all ages and abilities. Her popular classes are always uplifting, playful, challenging and thoughtfully designed with proper alignment and safety in mind. Melissa also believes that music can deeply affect the class mood and energy level, so she’s quite popular for curating the perfect playlist for each class!
Melissa began her yoga journey in 2005 with Bikram Yoga and used it to offset the physical strain from marathon and half-marathon running. After a knee osteotomy sidelined all running in 2011, Melissa immersed herself in Vinyasa-style yoga and never looked back. “I used to think I was fit when I could run 26 miles, but yoga transformed my body and mind in ways I could never imagine”, she says of her new-found commitment to the practice. “Seeing my body transform and doing things in my 30s and 40s that I could only dream of in my teens as a gymnast was so inspiring, and it continues to inspire me each day!”
Based in sunny Orlando, Florida, Melissa completed her RYT200 in 2017 and currently teaches at Orlando Power Yoga, the largest and most beloved studio in central Florida. Melissa has committed herself to practicing and studying with other wonderful teachers at workshops and retreats all over the world; she brings this knowledge to her studio classes, arm-balancing workshops, corporate yoga instruction and yoga retreats.
Get ready for adventure and prepare to smile, sweat and groove on an upcoming retreat with Melissa!
Shareia (pronounced “Sha-Ree-yah) Oliver is a wellness enthusiast and owner of Eleven16 Yoga Studio where she teaches weekly classes to a diverse audience of students. Her motto “Love God Love People” has always been how she lives her life. She believes love and kindness are never wasted but makes a difference in the life of both the giver and receiver.
Shareia is a Registered Vinyasa, Hatha, and Trauma-Informed yoga teacher based out of Northern Virginia. Since 2015, she’s tapped into the world of yoga, and found it to be one of the best self-care tools to help her move through past sexual and emotional trauma. Her teaching incorporates mindful and creative movements connected with breath to help
students explore their body while also having fun. She’s been blessed to learn from wise and inspiring individuals and being able to share those lessons and experiences with her students
fills her with joy.
When not teaching, Shareia spends her time with her husband and three daughters.
Growing up as a dancer, Michelle Manausa (RYT 200) made the leap to the fitness industry as a senior in high school on Long Island, NY in 1989. After moving to Tallahassee, Florida to attend Florida State University, she continued to embrace her love of movement and fitness as a staff instructor for the FSU Athletic Center and various health facilities. Michelle experienced her first yoga class in 2001 and it was love at first asana! After a 10 year break of teaching fitness classes while her 3 children were small, she re-entered the fitness industry adding yoga instruction with a new sense of purpose and passion.
Presently, Michelle teaches Kickboxing, HIIT, Step, Pilates, Barre, Core, and Yoga. She loves any fusion of these forms of movement especially when she can introduce Yoga to new people. While Michelle loves teaching many varieties and levels of yoga, she really enjoys leading an intro class. She’s passionate about creating a safe and encouraging environment for new yogis to explore this type of movement. And now as an empty nester, she is enjoying the opportunity to take her love of yoga and fitness on the road for travel adventures!
While movement has always been a driving force in her life since a young age, her personal yoga practice has been a necessary grounding and balancing element. Sharing the amazing benefits of yoga, meditation and healthy lifestyle are her passion.
Michelle is always ready for fun, whether it’s a spontaneous dance party, a wine tasting tour or a zip line through the rain forest. Her degree in Hospitality Administration along with over 20 years in the fitness industry, prepared Michelle to host a fabulous trip with The Travel Yogi.
Love of nature, adventure and a curiosity about other cultures has led Katina to travel around the world and yoga is always a part of it. She feels that a strong, healthy mind and body will allow you to take on any challenge – anywhere, and she’s up for anything!
Katina has been practicing Hatha yoga since she was a teenager. She found yoga to be a transformational practice that brought so much more than just physical well-being. She has studied with a wide variety of teachers and finds inspiration from them all. She completed her teacher training first with YogaWorks, a highly respected program that teaches proper alignment and safety in poses, as well as movement with breath and cohesive well-rounded sequencing. She then trained with Amy Sullivan and Jenay Martin for a more fluid and spiritual practice. Katina’s wish is to bring the healing benefits of yoga to everyone; she believes in its power to improve flexibility and strength, to help heal injuries, to improve sleep, to create more energy and a calmer, quieter, more focused mind.
Téo is above all an avid traveller. Born and raised in the south of France he decided to leave his home country at the age of 18 because he knew the world had a lot to offer. After a few years spent wandering the globe, his path led him to sunny California where he discovered his life purpose: sharing the wisdom of Yoga.
With his 7 years of experience, Téo has developed an extensive knowledge of the practice which he loves to share in its entirety. From rhythmic Vinyasa flows to grounding Yin sequences he knows how to efficiently assist his students in their quest for growth and transformation. Along his journey towards self discovery, he has learned a myriad of life-shaping lessons which he loves to share to help others reach for their fullest potential.
Whether you are an advanced practitioner or an avid beginner, Téo’s guidance will make you feel supported in times of need and challenged when you are ready to breakthrough. He takes pride in designing each and every of his classes with the utmost care to best serve all of the attendees. Rest assured that you will step off your mat feeling renewed, both in and out.
Stacey Rosenberg is passionate about educating people on how to be a student of their own bodies and applying the spirit of yoga to their everyday lives. She is a teacher of both the art and technique of yoga — weaving both wisdom and play into the practice.
Stacey offers a fresh perspective on each posture and gives alignment cues and pose modifications that will help you get stronger and move more freely. Her style of yoga blends practical knowledge honed over years of study and experience, a deep spiritual awareness rooted in the everyday sacred and a street-wise sense of humor. She has been teaching public and private classes, workshops and teacher trainings in San Francisco since 2000 as well as retreats and adventures all around the world.
STAY TUNED FOR NEW ADVENTURE DATES...
In the meantime check out other great Yoga Adventure locations. Join our newsletter for the latest updates and new adventure location dates.
- Three nights exclusive stay in Castiglione di Sicilia region
- Four nights in stunning Modica
- Breakfast each morning at our hotels
- Some lunches including local eateries and restaurants
- All dinners in a local restaurant or at our hotels
- Multiple wine-pairing and tasting options
- Morning and evening yoga on most days (please see the full itinerary for yoga schedule)
- Street-food experiences in Ortigia and Noto
- Hiking day by foot and 4×4 on Mt Etna
- Local cooking class and dinner near Ragusa
- Maître chocolatier taught hands-on chocolate course
- Afternoon on a local, and official, aromatic and herb farm
- Private transfers and transportation throughout the week
- Expert local English speaking guides
- All entry fees for the above sights and additional activities as listed on the itinerary
What's Not Included
- International flights in and out of Catania (CTA)
- Four lunches
- Any video or still camera fees assessed by the monuments or places of interest
- Alcohol, in excess of a glass of wine, sodas or other specialty drinks at meals
- Items of a personal nature (phone calls, souvenirs, spa services, etc)
- Travel Insurance (strongly recommended)
Yoga Retreat in Sicily Accommodations
Enveloped in over a hundred hectares of olive, citrus and vineyards sits our northern Sicily home. The renovated vineyard home boasts modern amenities and classic charm. Each room has its own unique views on this beautiful vineyard. Enjoy the pool and vineyards you walk through each day, the AC and/or heat, along with stunning Sicilian cuisine, to make this a hideaway you’ll want to return to.
Historic and modern comfort and blend into a luxury welcome in the south of Sicily. Revel in the renovated and rejuvenated medieval fortress and the beauty of Modica. Enjoy ancient catacombs and beautiful villages while you make use of the pool and spa or spend your free-time exploring Noto, Modica or the beach, each just a short walk or drive away.
Each of our amazing yoga retreat in Sicily itineraries will be unique, with slight changes based on local holidays and/or events. Below is a sample of what can be expected as you explore this amazing island with The Travel Yogi:
- Fly into Catania (CTA) and get ready for adventure on your yoga retreat in Sicily
- Our guide will meet you at the airport and escort you to our first hotel just north of Mt Etna
- Opening airplane-twist-it-out yoga class
- Welcome dinner and your first taste of local Sicilian deliciousness
- Benvenuti in Sicilia!
- Wake up refreshed, hit the mat and a fill-up breakfast
- Journey up the side of Europe’s largest volcano by 4×4 and leg power… get your hike on
- Charge your cameras and capture the stunning views of Sicily from the heights of Mt Etna
- Enjoy a mid afternoon post-hike lunch at the base of Mt Etna
- Taste, and learn, about the richness of Sicilian wine at a local winery
- Head back to the hotel for evening yoga for hike-weary legs before dinner
- Morning yoga followed by a leisurely breakfast
- Gear up for a day of classic wanderings
- Castelmola is stunning and classified as one of the most beautiful villages in Sicily
- Perched on a hillside over the Ionian Sea, wander Taormina and the ancient Greek theater of Teatro Greco
- After a guided tour, explore Taormina’s streets and restaurants at your leisure
- As the sun goes down head back ‘home’ for evening yoga
- Enjoy dinner under the stars
- An early morning for breakfast and packing (no morning yoga today)
- With bags packed it’s time to head south
- Wander down the winding streets of Ortigia and take in the stunning Baroque and Renaissance beauties surrounding you
- Stroll backwards through time and explore the 6th century BCE Temple of Apollo
- Take in the sights and smells of the food market and stop for lunch with the locals
- Say goodbye to Ortigia and continue south to Modica
- Check-in and get ready for early evening yoga
- Head to the restaurant for a dinner of southern Sicilian delights
- Rise and shine yoga and breakfast
- Get your thinking caps on as you take an archeological tour of Ragusa
- Wander the Hyblaean Mountains’ secrets and wonders
- Visit the Grotta of Trabacche, the Catacombs of Cava Celone and the Hypogeum of Cisternazzi
- Enjoy some free time to explore Ragusa and the lunch spot of your choice
- Head to an ancient water mill in the afternoon
- After listening to the stories of the millers and their families, get your hands-on the local organic flour and make your own Focaccia deliciousness
- Dine on your creations at the mill with the families
- Morning yoga and sustaining breakfast
- Noto, the jewel of the Val di Noto, awaits
- Marvel at the Duomo di San Nicolo, and the gorgeous stairs just below, as well as the Palazzo Vescovile, Palazzo Comunale and the Baroque Church of the Holy Savior
- As you stroll through the day you’ll be treated to the gastronomical delights of Noto including cuoppo, the famous Arancina and an unmissable cannolo
- After some free time to explore Noto, journey to Modica
- Another tasty treat this afternoon as you learn about Modica’s famous chocolate history
- Get hands-on as you put your knowledge of Modica’s ancient chocolate making to the test under the watchful eye of a professional maître chocolatier
- Evening outdoor yoga (weather dependent) at the hotel
- Group dinner, if you’ve got any tummy space left, at the hotel
- Morning yoga and breakfast
- Spend your morning at your leisure
- Relax poolside, book a massage, head back into Modica or catch a 15min ride to the coast
- Return to the hotel early afternoon for a closing yoga class
- Journey to a local farm which produces officinal and aromatic herbs
- Experience the history and pride behind the olfactory tradition
- Head out to a local restaurant for a closing dinner among the locals
- Rise and shine for breakfast and to pack
- Transfer from the south of Sicily back to Catania airport for departure and a goodbye to gorgeous Sicily
Frequently Asked Questions
Please schedule your flights in and out of Catania international airport (CTA) on the first and final day of the adventure. There are time restrictions for the single transfer on Day 1 and Day8 so please refer to your booking confirmation for information on flights and flight scheduling.
In a word, yes! Vegetarians will have no difficulty and all other requests should be able to be accommodated as long as we have sufficient notice of at least four weeks prior to departure. Please contact The Travel Yogi with any dietary questions.
Travel insurance is always strongly recommended. Please make sure you have a policy purchased before departure and, ideally, once you book. While we recommend Travel Guard, you may purchase your insurance through any reputable company.
On this adventure, yes, you will need to bring your own mat. Your mat and luggage will be transported for you once on the adventure, but you will need to bring a mat from home. The Travel Yogi teachers that embark on this adventure will be designing classes that do not require props, so no need to bring a strap or a block unless you want one.
Absolutely. All of our lux locations will have wifi available.
Yes! Of course. Once you’re booked you’ll receive an email with important logistical information and a link to your invoice. You can pay any amount at any time on the invoice; you can use it as a payment plan or leave it alone until the final due date. Remember that deposits are non-refundable so, on all trips, we recommend purchasing travel insurance.