THE TRAVEL YOGI
Colombia Yoga Adventure
Trip in One Word: Rhythmic
What You’ll Experience in Colombia
Colombia is home to vibrant cities and people, unbelievable coffee, music pouring out of open windows, and some of the most beautiful places on the planet. Dive into culture, food, and rhythm on this yoga retreat in Colombia (with the help of local guides, of course). Hike mountain paths between villages in the Andes, take over a restaurant in Cartagena, horseback to a picnic in the wild, and chillax on the Rosario Islands. Explore by foot, hoof, plane, hands, and taste buds as you experience the best, and the tucked away, of Colombia. Add color, rhythm, and spice to your life as you luxuriate on this yoga retreat in Colombia.
How You’ll Experience Colombia
You’ll start your yoga retreat in Colombia by exploring Cartagena—a notoriously colorful and vibrant city—on foot and by taste bud. You’ll stay in the vibrant Getsemani region of town, known for its delicious food, impromptu dancing on the streets, beauty, and diverse markets. Next, you’ll fly to Barichara, a no-words-can-do-it-justice village in the Andes with cobbled streets and an unchanged look since its founding in 1705. Be blown away by an unforgettable and tucked-away mountain village experience. Explore by foot and tuc-tuc (hang on tight!), horseback ride and picnic in the wild, hike mountain paths, wander between villages and dine with locals. Cable car between mountain ranges and get your caffeine by tasting local brews at a coffee plantation. Then head to the coast to relax on the beach, boat the pristine Rosario Islands, swim, snorkel, and eat fresh seafood. You’ll bookend your days with yoga sessions and mouthwatering cuisine to help you integrate and acclimate.
How You’ll Feel When You Return Home
You’ll return home with rhythm in your steps and vibrancy in your heart. You’ll bring back recipes, coffee, photos, new Spanish vocab, and technicolor memories to keep you smiling even on the dreariest of days. This yoga retreat in Colombia is truly legendary!
Yoga Retreat In Colombia Details
Beach & Islands
Yoga Retreat In Colombia Upcoming Dates
Exploring the mind-body connection is Debbi’s life work. After years in academia researching and teaching subjects that elevated one or the other half of that equation (doctorate in exercise science, master’s degree in counseling psychology), she turned her attention to the study of yoga – a perfect nexus of both.
Throughout her years in academia, Debbi studied with leading yoga masters to deepen her knowledge and hone her practice. Her alignment based, mindful flow style evolved from early work with Rodney Yee, Annie Carpenter and Shiva Rea. But the heart of her teaching comes from Erich Schiffmann, whose message of self-trust and the transformative power of yoga really resonated with her background.
Through more than 40 years of study and experience, including a dozen as creator and director of Shanti Yoga Teacher Training, Debbi found that the best approach to mind-body vitality is informed by both western science and the spirit of eastern yogic philosophy. Whether you’re attending her popular local classes (which won her the title of Boise’s Best), national conferences, or international retreats you can expect an artful blend of sound science, ancient wisdom, and mind-body-spirit integration woven together in the beautiful, juicy flow of the vinyasa tradition.
Debbi also shares her message online in various blogs and trainings. You’ll also find her informative and inspirational posts on her website, and her Facebook, Twitter and Instagram feeds.
Janet is a yoga instructor, yoga teacher trainer and Life Alignment coach. Born and raised in NYC and now living in the mountains of Whistler, BC, Janet is part homebody and part gypsy. She loves her home in the mountains as well as exploring the world through travel. As a result, Janet has been travelling the world and teaching internationally.
Janet as a yoga instructor offers a playful, sweaty, deep practice with soul-searching teachings. Janet teaches “real life yoga for everyday living” by encouraging her students to explore yoga philosophy through themed classes and take their awareness into
their life. Janet as a Life Alignment Coach is soulful in her approach using yoga philosophy and Co-Active teachings to evoke deep insights. Janet’s candor, confidence and humour creates a playful, supportive environment to dive into action. You will be inspired to live deeply rich life filled with possibility.
She is generous with her support and deeply devoted to her students. Coaching and Yoga are pathways to living a life of harmony and fullness. Janet will journey with you there.
STAY TUNED FOR NEW ADVENTURE DATES...
In the meantime check out other great Yoga Adventure locations. Join our newsletter for the latest updates and new adventure location dates.
- Morning vinyasa and/or evening chill-out yoga practice
- Restaurant take-over and cooking in Cartagena
- Walking tour of Cartagena
- Accommodations in vibrant old town Cartagena
- Exploring tour of Barichara
- Hike local paths between Andean villages
- Explore the little village of Guane
- Dirt painting in Barichara
- Homemade lunch in the mountains with a local couple
- Learn local bracelet-making traditions
- Tuc-tuc transfer within the village
- Horseback ride to a remote picnic spot with canyon views
- Chef-cooked dinners at ‘home’ in the highlands
- with local musicians on our last village evening
- Dinner out in the village at a stunning local restaurant
- Three nights lux villa accommodation in Barichara
- Cable car ride between Andean mountain ranges
- Coffee tasting and local plantation wandering
- Domestic flight from Bucaramanga to Cartagena
- Boat transfer to island getaway
- Three nights beach-front accommodation on the island
- Full day boat and snorkel trip to nearby island with private picnic
- All airport transfers (on arrival and departure day only)
What's Not Included
- Airfare to Colombia
- One lunch
- Additional excursions
- Alcohol or items of a personal nature/souvenirs
- Travel insurance (recommended)
Our hotel in Cartagena is in the music- and color-filled area of Getsemani. Located in old-town Cartagena and with gorgeous rooftop views, this 5-star hotel is in the heart of the action with an inner courtyard of hanging vines and fountains that feels like an escape from the world. Rooms feature either one or two beds, AC, and en suite bathroom facilities. Spend the day exploring Cartagena and the night either sleeping soundly or joining the dance parties in the streets below on this yoga retreat in Colombia,
Our lux villas in Barichara are tucked away just above the village and surrounded by bold and fragrant trees, plants and flowers. Each of the rooms within the villas are different and unique and all common spaces look out over Barichara and the mountains beyond. Each morning’s breakfast is a postcard perfect and every sunset picture worthy. Rooms will have one or two beds and all have en suite facilities.
Isla Tierra Bomba
Beach-front and blissed out is the headline for the last few days in Colombia. Beach vibes and culture are in full swing in the laid-back-lux of the cabanas. Each room is unique and features en suite facilities. This eco-resort is a certified B-Corp that cares as much about environmental impact as human impact. Their every-human-welcome policy is for staff and guests alike and creates the coolest atmosphere on the beach, in the rooms and on the plates. Soak up the laid-back love poolside, napping in a hammock or on the beach.
Colombia yoga retreat schedules will vary slightly and final itineraries will go out to the travel crew about a month prior to departure. Our schedule below gives you an overall picture of what a weeklong wellness and yoga retreat in Colombia will look like:
- Morning arrival into Cartagena
- Transfer into town (approx 10min) and drop bags off at our hotel
- Rejuvenate with a coffee and take a few moments to relax
- Head out for a walking tour of Cartagena
- Let the colors and vibrancy of old town Cartagena keep you awake and grooving
- Take over a local restaurant and get ready to get cooking
- This gorgeous local restaurant’s owner and chef will be walking you through making some local dishes and drinks
- Don an apron and get the scoop on different ingredients and how they’re prepared in Colombia
- Sit down to a gorgeously set table and an early dinner of your own creations
- Head back to the hotel for the evening or enjoy the streets of Getsemani
- Morning yoga and group buffet breakfast
- Today we’re heading to the mountains
- With our guide you’ll head to the airport for a flight to Bucaramanga
- From Bucaramanga we’ll hop into chartered flights for the 18min trip into the mountains followed by a short drive (approx 35min) to beautiful Barichara
- Settle into your villa and enjoy lunch on the patio overlooking the village’s red tiled roofs
- Walk down the cobblestone streets into town with our guide to explore Barichara
- Evening yoga on the patio
- Dinner overlooking Barichara’s twinkling lights
- Morning yoga and full breakfast on the patio
- Get your hiking/walking shoes on for a day of exploring
- Head into town and pick up an old herder’s path to Guane
- Have your camera ready for some beautiful photos and smiles ready for passing locals out for a stroll
- Explore the small village of Guane and rejuvenate with some fresh squeezed juices
- Head to a local’s house for a home cooked picnic lunch (and keep an eye out for fossils… they’re everywhere!)
- Sit down with Katia and Jorge and learn how to make the woven bracelets that everyone sports in Colombia
- Head back to Barichara by tuc-tuc
- Enjoy a few hours to relax, nap in a hammock or head into town
- Gather for evening yoga on the patio
- Stroll into Barichara for dinner at a local (and delicious) restaurant
- Morning yoga and hip work to prepare for a morning on horseback
- Walk into town and meet up with your mount for the day
- Trot out of Barichara and into the hills. Be sure to turn around for some beautiful views and photos of the village
- Ride to a secluded picnic lunch spot overlooking a verdant and beautiful gorge
- Drive back into town to a dirt painting afternoon
- The red dirt of Barichara and the area is unique and special… and coming home with you!
- Walk ‘home’ for evening yoga
- Enjoy a farewell-to-the-mountains dinner at the villa (with a special surprise)
- Morning breakfast, packing and departure to the coast
- Drive about an hour to the cable cars that will carry you between ranges of the Andes
- This is a short, but stunning, ride and the difference in geography between the two sides is striking
- Drive to a local coffee plantation to learn about the bean-to-cup process and to get your caffeine on
- Catch a flight to Cartagena and a quick boat ride to Isla Tierra Bomba
- Arrive on the island in time for evening yoga and diner to the sound of the ocean
- Morning seaside wake-up yoga and breakfast
- Get your sea legs and swim gear on as we head out on a boat for an island discovery day
- Chill on the boat as we head to Rosario Island
- Snorkel, sun and stroll
- Feast on a private picnic on Rosario
- Boat back to Tierra Bomba for evening yoga and dinner
- Morning yoga is a bit later this morning to facilitate the chillax day ahead
- Today is your leisure day on the island. You can while away the hours in a hammock, book a massage, explore an additional excursion or hop between pool and beach… totally up to you!
- Come together for the final yoga session in Colombia
- Tuck into a delicious final meal on the island
- Wake up to breakfast and pack for the transfer back into Cartagena
- There will be one transfer by boat back to the city and, depending on your flight time, you can check your bags back at the Cartagena hotel and explore or head directly to the airport for your flight home
- Gracias por visitar Colombia!
The instructor, those who made up our group, the hotel, the activities included (especially the BLUE LAGOON – OMG!), the location and the people of Iceland – all magical! LOVED all activities included – and ALL the guides were simply wonderful. The activity schedule was nicely paced. It was a great location with accessibility to all areas of the city. I would recommend it to friends thinking of traveling to Iceland. Oh yes, I would do it all again!"
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Of course. Once you’re booked you’ll receive an email with important logistical information and a link to your invoice. You can pay any amount at any time on the invoice; you can use it as a payment plan or leave it alone until the final due date. Remember that deposits are non-refundable so, on all trips, we recommend purchasing travel insurance.