THE TRAVEL YOGI
Mexico Yoga Retreat Adventure
Trip in One Word: Authentic
What You’ll Experience in Mérida
This yoga retreat in Mexico will take you to Mérida—in the heart of the Yucatán peninsula—known for its culture, cuisine, beaches, and nature. Throw in wellness and adventure, and you have your perfect yoga retreat. Think verdant foliage, sultry humidity, salty afternoons on the beach, yummy food, and sunshine. You’ll explore the region’s rich cultural history, cycle to a cenote, eat ceviche on a secluded beach, explore a Mayan ceremonial ground plus bat cave (cool!), traverse mangrove channels, and seal each amazing day with a yoga session. This is the trip for adventurers who want to see authentic Mexico through fresh (read: non-touristy) eyes.
How You’ll Experience Mérida
You’ll fly in and out of Merida, the vibrant capital of the state of Yucatán—where you’ll stay within walking distance from the heart of the and the beautiful Catedral de Mérida. You’ll start your adventure with a walking tour of the city (adventurers, you’ll try so much delicious street food as you stroll) followed by a Yucatecan craft beer sampling. During your trip, you’ll hike the jungle to the Chac Temple, Xcoch, and Noh Pat archeological sites, visit sisal plant haciendas, explore a Calcehtok cave system (yep, it’s a ceremonial ground for ancient Mayans plus a bat cave… whoa!), cycle to Cenote Nomozon, join a lunch with locals, and kayak mangrove channels. Did we mention eating ceviche on a secluded beach?! As the days float by, you’ll balance adventure with beach time and salty breezes amongst new friends. You’ll say farewell to each day ceremoniously with a yoga session.
How You’ll Feel When You Return Home
You’ll return home from this yoga retreat in Mexico saturated with a chillness that you can’t shake after you’ve long shaken the sand from your clothes. Upon your return, Mérida’s rich Mayan history will return in your dreams and in your happy hour tales. Above all else, this yoga adventure in Mérida will inspire your insatiable curiosity—and your love of authentic street tacos.
STAY TUNED FOR NEW ADVENTURE DATES...
In the meantime check out other great Yoga Adventure locations. Join our newsletter for the latest updates and new adventure location dates.
- Daily morning and evening Vinyasa yoga (per the itinerary)
- Walking tour of Mérida
- explore Mérida on foot and via your taste buds
- Yucatecan local craft beer tasting
- Guided adventure to unrestored archeological sites
- Jungle hike to multiple sites
- Hands-on day learning how to process local sisal in a family hacienda
- Hiking adventure to local caves
- explore caves systems that held special significance for the ancient Mayans
- Bike ride to a local cenote
- Kayaking and beach day
- Comfort-lux accommodations in central Mérida
- Buffet breakfasts daily
- All meals (excepting one lunch)
- Transportation to and from Mérida (MID) airport
What's Not Included
- Airfare to Mérida (MID)
- One lunch
- Additional excursions
- Alcohol or items of a personal nature/souvenirs
- Travel insurance (recommended)
Yoga Retreat in Mexico Accommodations
Each colorful and comfortable room for your yoga retreat in Mexico features air conditioning and mosquito netting (though with AC the nets serve a more decorative function). All rooms are tastefully decorated and feature cool, sleek floors to chill down sand-hot toes. Private and beautiful bathrooms accompany each room.
Schedules will vary slightly and final itineraries will go out to the travel crew about a month prior to departure. Our schedule below gives you an overall picture of what your yoga retreat in Mexico will look like:
- Arrival into Mérida (MID) International Airport
- Transfer to our boutique hotel, check-in and unwind
- Depending on arrival time, you can take a dip in the pool or explore Mérida
- Early evening de-plane yoga class (depending on teacher’s arrival time)
- Welcome dinner in a local restuarant
- Invigorating morning yoga & breakfast
- Explore Mérida on foot and via your taste buds
- Sample the best street food and wander through the city’s neighborhoods, churches and markets with our know-it-all guide
- Sit down for a Yucatecan craft beer sampling
- Head back for early evening yoga
- Chill down evening group dinner
- Heading out early to beat the midday sun we’ll head into the jungle to 3 unrestored (ie Indiana Jones style) archeological sites
- These unique and rarely visited locations require some jungle trekking so long pants and sturdy shoes area must
- Trek out of the jungle to a local restaurant for lunch
- Return for a late afternoon yoga session and dinner at our boutique hotel
- Sun-salutations (literally and figuratively)
- Delicious local group breakfast
- Head out to explore and get hands-ons
- Bring a smile and willingness to dive in and learn as we help gather, prep and grind sisal with eh local crew
- Roll up your sleeves and help out in the community’s garden
- Time to thank our hosts with smiles and hugs and last photos
- Head out for a local restaurant lunch
- Soak up the scenery on the way back to Mérida
- Early evening yoga
- Sunset dinner
- Morning yoga wake-up & breakfast
- Enjoy a free morning in Mérida to explore, shop, relax… the morning and early afternoon is yours
- In the afternoon we’ll gather for a nature immersion
- Don those long pants and head out for a jungle hike
- Explore, and venture into, a cave system that served as ceremonial grounds for the ancient Mayans
- Early evening chill out yoga
- Relaxing group dinner at ‘home’
- Morning yoga & breakfast
- Head out to the Mayapan archeological site with our expert guide
- Walk through each section of the ruins with a guide to grasp the history, culture and influence of the Mayans
- Hop on a bike and pedal through villages to a local cenote
- Swim to your heart’s content before heading back to a village for lunch with the community
- Early evening yoga class & group dinner
- Up and out for an early morning boat ride
- Hop off the boat and into a kayak for a morning of paddling through the mangroves
- Cruise through the mangrove channels to a gorgeous fresh water spring
- Paddle out of the forest to a secluded beach for ceviche and sand in your toes
- Enjoy an evening yoga session and final group diner
- A last yoga morning on your yoga retreat in Mexico in gorgeous Mérida
- Enjoy breakfast and time to pack up
- Transfer to the Mérida (MID) airport and take off back home
I enjoyed the relaxation, yoga, and meeting new people."
The 2nd cenote which was about 30-40 minutes away with the cliff jumping was amazing. Our guides and drivers were amazing. They really went out of their way to be customer service oriented."
The food was really awesome! I was a little hesitant about the vegetarian fare and no alcohol policy. I honestly didn’t miss it (meat/alcohol) much and there were plenty of bars within walking distance. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and I enjoyed them. Marcela and Andres were really personable and accommodating."
The group was truly amazing. Everyone was so nice, relaxed, friendly…just glad to be there! The location, resort…staff…amazing. I loved every second!"
Frequently Asked Questions
U.S. citizens will need a passport to visit Mexico, but no visa is required at this time. Passports will require at least one blank page for an entry stamp. Entry information can change so please visit the State Department page for up to date information. Nationals of all other countries should check travel requirements well in advance of their retreat.
Please fly into the Mérida International Airport (MID). Transfers will be covered on arrival and departure days only, though The Travel Yogi is happy to help with pre or post arrangements.
Absolutely. You can be as wired, or unwired, as you’d like.
Yes, please do. Our home base in Mérida is a lovely boutique hotel (it used to be a big, private hacienda), so they do not stock their own yoga mats. Teachers will design classes that do not require blocks, but you know your body and practice, so please pack accordingly.
Naturally! Of course we’ll be hitting the beach, but there is also a lovely pool at the ready. And pack a suit or two as we’ve got kayaking and cenote splash-downs planned.
Of course! Any dietary need or restriction can be accommodated provided that you notify us at least four weeks in advance. This is an omnivore’s adventure as we dive into local cuisine, but we can tweak anything and still deliver local flavor and flair.
Yes! Of course. Once you’re booked you’ll receive an email with important logistical information and a link to your invoice. You can pay any amount at any time on the invoice; you can use it as a payment plan or leave it alone until the final due date. Remember that deposits are non-refundable so, on all trips, we recommend purchasing travel insurance.