THE TRAVEL YOGI
Nicaragua Yoga & Surf Adventure
Trip in One Word: Magic
What You’ll Experience in Nicaragua
Nicaragua: the land of lakes and volcanoes. On this Nicaragua yoga surf retreat adventure, you’ll experience volcanoes, beaches, national parks, world-class surfing, and the colonial gorgeousness of stunning Granada. From Lake Nicaragua to the waves of Popoyo, you’ll journey from one of Latin America’s most beautiful cities to a volcanic cacao plantation to the beautiful Pacific coast. You’ll enjoy coffee tastings, volcano hikes, lava sightings, wildlife, and immersion in the local community.
How You’ll Experience Nicaragua
Spend two days in and around Granada (“Gran Sultana”) exploring the colonial town, its world-famous cathedrals, architecture, and local culture. By day you’ll hike the side of the Mombacho volcano and get hands-on at a local cacao farm. By night the warmth will come from the ground up as you explore the Masaya volcano and its incredible hot lava craters.
Your days on the Pacific will include surfing, yoga, a gorgeous catamaran sailing trip, and time to soak up the chill vibes of the coveted eco-Malibu Popoyo. With 10 world-class surf breaks in the neighborhood, this is a yoga surf retreat adventure for the books.
How You’ll Feel When You Return Home
This Nicaragua yoga surf retreat is a balanced adventure, equal parts culture, surf, sun, and sand time. You’ll return home wowed by the magic of Granada, the vibrancy of the local culture, and the natural majesty of Nicaragua—and totally blissed out by all the beachy good vibes of the Emerald Coast.
Nicaragua Yoga Surf Retreat Details
In the meantime check out other great Yoga Adventure locations. Join our newsletter for the latest updates and new adventure location dates.
- Granada days with English-speaking expert local guides
- Walking tour of Granada
- Half day learning, lunching and creating at a local cacao plantation
- Hands-on chocolate making (yum)
- Hike to the flowing lava craters of the Masaya volcano
- Hike and 4×4 truck climb of the Mombacho volcano
- Catamaran sailing & snorkeling
- One surf lesson catered to your surf level (beginner to expert)
- Airport transfers (on arrival & departure days)
- All breakfast, lunch & dinners in local restaurants or at our hotels
- Cultural lunch with the local cacao farmers and makers
- Morning and evening yoga on most days (please see the full itinerary for yoga schedule)
What's Not Included
- International flight to and from Managua, Nicaragua
- Any airport taxes
- Alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature (phone calls, souvenirs, spa services, etc)
- Additional surf lessons
- Travel insurance (recommended)
On this Nicaragua yoga surf reatreat, our lux accommodations range from the old world colonial charm of Granada to the eco-luxury of a beachfront paradise. Enjoy the hum of Granada’s Central Park on your doorstep before you transfer to the beachfront hypnotic rolling of the Pacific. In Granada, you’ll enjoy modern amenities mixed with authentic colonial architecture. At the beach you can let your mind and body relax in individually designed rooms all with indoor gardens (yes, please).
Each of our amazing Nicaragua yoga surf retreat adventure itineraries will be unique, with slight changes based on local holidays, weather and/or events. Below is a sample of what can be expected as you explore this amazing country with The Travel Yogi:
- Arrive in Managua and be picked up in our private group transfers to Granada
- Our guide will meet you at the airport and you’ll travel in arrival groups to Granada
- Explore Granada’s historic past on foot
- Absorb the funny, historic and unique history of this UNESCO town and climb the La Merced church bell tower for views of town, lake and volcano
- Welcome evening yoga and dinner at a local restaurant – Bienvenida a Nicaragua!
- Morning yoga & breakfast to prepare for a day of local culture
- Drive to the Mombacho volcano and surrounding farming communities
- Learn about farming the small cacao plantation and hike the hills of the crop
- Join a chocolate making workshop with beans from the farm and make your own choco delight
- Traditional lunch with the local farming community
- Evening visit to the Masaya volcano to view the molten lava glows and flows
- Group dinner in a local Granada restaurant
- Morning yoga and breakfast
- Pack up for the ride to the Emerald Coast of Nicaragua
- En route to the coast stop at the Mombacho natural reserve for a hike to the cloud forest
- Journey by 4×4 to a volcanic coffee plantation for pick-me-up tasters
- Hike the remaining trail to the top of the cloud forest with panoramic views
- Finish your scenic drive to the Nicaraguan Riviera in the surf heaven of Popoyo
- Beach-giddy sunrise yoga & breakfast
- Spend the day acclimating, exploring and luxuriating on the Pacific Coast
- Chill out lunch on a chillax day
- Evening yoga
- Coastal starlit dinner
- Wake-up yoga & breakfast
- Mid-morning departure from Popoyo to San Juan del Sur Port to board today’s catamaran adventure
- Board the 47′ catamaran for a long sail to a secluded bay for swim and water relaxation
- Evening return for dinner and swim-and-sun-day sleep
- Long and luxurious yoga & breakfast
- Morning and/or afternoon surf lesson
- Lessons are based on tide and surfer’s experience
- Surf instructors know all so today’s surf lesson will be at their time and location discretion
- Evening yoga session
- Group dinner
- Sunrise yoga & breakfast
- Last day on the coast to surf, relax, swim and soak it all up
- All levels of surfers can book extra surfing sessions
- Intermediate and expert surfers can rent specific boards and head to the best breaks of the day or book more lessons
- Final group yoga on the pristine Nicaraguan coast
- Group farewell dinner
- Final morning yoga session and farewell to Nicaragua
- One group transfer from Popoyo to Managua
Frequently Asked Questions
Citizens of the U.S. will need a valid passport to visit Nicaragua. Passports must have at least one blank page per entry stamp. Tourist visas will be issued upon arrival and will cost $10US. Please have exact change in cash ready. Entry requirements can change so for up to date information please visit the State Department’s page for Nicaragua. Nationals of all other countries should check entry requirements with their government.
No routine shots are required at this time for travel to Nicaragua unless you have recently been in a country with cases of yellow fever. Please be aware that your COVID vaccinations need to be completed at least two weeks prior to travel. We recommend that you be up to date on all of your vaccinations. Any specific inoculation or health questions should be directed to your personal physician.
Yes! Vegetarians will have no difficulty and all other requests should be able to be accommodated as long as we have sufficient notice of at least four weeks prior to departure. Please contact The Travel Yogi with any dietary questions.
While travel insurance is not required it is strongly recommended. We recommend World Nomads, though you may get insurance through any reputable company.
Mats are provided once we reach the coast, but you’ll want your own mat for practice while in Granada. Your mat and luggage will be transported for you once on the trip.
Yup, all of our lux locations will have wifi available but please don’t plan on conducting Skype calls or streaming shows as the bandwidth won’t cover those activities.
Nicaragua uses the standard, non-grounded, North American two-prong plug (type A) and the three-prong, grounded, (type B) plug.
Yes! Of course. Once you’re booked you’ll receive an email with important logistical information and a link to your invoice. You can pay any amount at any time on the invoice; you can use it as a payment plan or leave it alone until the final due date. Remember that deposits are non-refundable so, on all trips, we recommend purchasing travel insurance.